Michael McBreen, Executive Vice President and President of Codman Specialty Surgical at Integra Life Sciences, joins us today. He has demonstrated superior leadership capabilities over the past 30 years in the medical device industry. He also has a proven track record in revenue performance. Learn about his current role at Integra and how a change in position and company has been a positive experience for him. In addition, you will pick up some great tips today to advance your leadership skills.
In This Episode, We Cover:
- [03:14] Michael McBreen talks about his journey through different medical areas throughout his career.
- [06:48] Integra acquired Codman Specialty Surgical from Johnson and Johnson, and that acquisition changed Michaels’ career path.
- [09:22] Trends that are shaping the medical device industry and life sciences.
- [12:28] Michael shares his theories and philosophy on leadership and how you can continue to grow in your career because of the technology available.
- [16:19] He discusses his belief in balancing a career and family.
- [19:37] Michael answers Jasmeet’s rapid-fire questions.
- Leadership begins with authenticity. Being comfortable in your own skin sets an environment of openness among your colleagues. Co-workers react more positively when you are yourself.
- Hold onto advice from mentors. A good mentor is an example of a lifetime of success in any organization.
- A great leader knows how to treat people. Employees can focus on creative energy if they aren’t worried about being criticized or mistreated.
Mike McBreen is the executive vice president and president, Codman Specialty Surgical. He is responsible for overall strategic direction and commercial operations of the company’s market leading neurosurgical portfolio and broad surgical instrumentation offering.
Mr. McBreen is a 30-year veteran of the medical device industry. He joined Integra following the acquisition of Codman Neurosurgery from Johnson & Johnson in October 2017. As president of Integra’s international division, he led the expansion of Integra’s business in all regions of the world outside of the United States, representing approximately 30 percent of the company’s overall revenues.
Prior to Integra, Mr. McBreen served as vice president, U.S. commercial and global marketing for Codman neurosurgery and neurovascular businesses. Previously, he was worldwide vice president for professional education for the Johnson & Johnson medical device and diagnostics division. Mr. McBreen also held numerous U.S. and global roles of increasing responsibilities in sales and marketing at DePuy Mitek Sports Medicine, a division of Johnson & Johnson, since joining the company in 1996. Prior to Johnson & Johnson, he held various sales and marketing roles at Zimmer Biomet.
Mr. McBreen has served as a corporate advisory board member for the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and on the Board of Trustees for the Arthroscopy Association of North America Education Foundation. He is a board member of the ThinkFirst Foundation.
Mr. McBreen completed his bachelor’s degree in business administration at Providence College.
Mike McBreen on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-mcbreen-7144a825/
Mike McBreen on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mike.mcbreen.7
Axtria on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/axtria/