Episode 2: Understanding Disruptions and Innovations in the Pharma Commercial Model Design
Many forces are driving the disruption for our pharma and life science companies. Join Jeff Tomlinson, Principal at Axtria, as he describes the factors drive the evolution of the pharma commercial model. First, Jeff shares how COVID-19 has accelerated many forces that our industry was already facing. Later, Jeff explains how companies are focusing on customer insight and data interoperability analytics with artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and value-based outcomes. Tune in as Jeff speaks about why the commercial model must focus on customer engagement, strategy, role and responsibility development, identifying market archetypes to foster management of local health market ecosystems, size and structure, and capabilities to support a new commercial approach.
In This Episode, We Cover:
- [02:10] The disruptions that are driving the evolution of the pharma commercial model.
- [07:00] What the future will look like for pharma commercial model design.
- [12:15] What companies are focusing on in terms of commercial model design adjustments.
- [14:40] The four common themes Jeff recognizes across his customer base.
- [18:30] Axtria’s multi-faceted approach to innovation in this industry.
- COVID-19 has accelerated many forces that the life sciences industry already faced, like declining rep access and more virtual, digital, and telehealth engagements.
- Customers are focusing on customer insight and data interoperability analytics with AI/ML and value-based outcomes with health economics outcomes research (HEOR) available at or near launch.
- The commercial model must focus on customer engagement, strategy, role and responsibility development, identifying market archetypes to foster management of local health market systems, size and structure, and capabilities to support a new commercial approach.
Meet Jeff Tomlinson:
Jeff has nearly 35 years of experience, spending 18 of those years at GSK, leading the commercial analytics group for respiratory and neuroscience. Jeff also spent time in the field, marketing, and payer group, and led various commercial analytic and operations teams.
He started his career with ZS Associates where he spent six years helping pharma and medical device companies with salesforce planning, mergers and acquisition integrations, and analytics.
After GSK, Jeff was Head of the Next Generation Analytics Group at IMS, working with clients on the commercial model design across payer, patient, provider, and health system dynamics.
Jeff was the Executive Director of Commercial Operations and Analytics at Salix before their acquisition. In addition to overseeing analytics, operations, and IC, he was the commercial leader for their data warehousing and reporting initiative.
Recently, Jeff built the commercial operations and analytics infrastructure for both Cempra and Dova before their acquisitions. At Dova, he oversaw the data and analytics for a product using a patient Hub and an open network of specialty pharmacies.
- Jeff on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffltomlinson/
Click here to access our Axtria Insights resource library– your go-to for expert insights, industry perspectives, and modern business approaches.